Monday 28 October 2013

Words of the Week # 12

This week it's Anis Mojgani.

From the land where slam poetry developed and took off, Anis is a spoken word artist who has won back-to-back National Individual Poetry Slam in 2005 and 2006 and has also been the 2007 Individual World Poetry Slam Champion. His work, in particular "Come Closer", revolves around obvious themes such as love and unity but also he finds refreshing ways to describe the sanctity of of being a person both independently but also as a collective humanity away from our self-built differences and self-defeatist nature. .
So, tomorrow morning - make sure you ramp this up loud.




Come Closer

"....Come into this.
Come Closer.
There are birds, 
Beating their wings
 Beneath your breast plate,
Gentle sparrows who are aching to sing
From aching hearts...."

"....My heart was too big for my body
So I let it go.
And I have shaved off so many of my corners,
That I have felt at home only in a ball.... "

"....Walk through this with me.
Through this church of blood bone and muscle that is ours.
There is a door in front of us,
Put your hand on its knob and let it swing open,
Take a step forward....."

"....Walk through this with me.
Walk through this with me."
- Anis Morjgani

No comments:

Post a Comment